Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Initial Training

Been planning on writing this one for a while but got a little sidetracked.

So I'm finally getting into a schedule for running. Here is my overall plan.

Monday-Friday: Need to have some clear expectations for the week. They can't be too aggressive since I have a tendancy to set high expectations, get busy at work, fall behind in my schedule and then totally just give up.

End of July: Work out at least 2 days a week. 30 minute work outs

End of Aug: Work out at least 3 days a week. 45 minute work outs

End of Sep: Work out at least 4 days a week. 1 hour work outs

Weekends: I'm actually already in the swing of things on this for the most part. Right now I don't have an issue of doing back to back 5 mile runs on Sat and Sun. This will be my dedicated hard running days.

End of July: 7 mile runs

End of Aug: 8 mile runs

End of Sep: 10 mile runs


Overall Weeks: My goal is to build up total miles for the week as this will probably be the toughest thing for me. Below are some goals that I need to hit on a consistent basis by the end of each month.

End of July: 25 miles

End of Aug: 30 miles

End of Sept: 40 miles



Then for the last two weeks going into our trip, I will be scaling back and do more biking and hills just to keep the endurance and leg strength up, but lower the risk of hurting myself. Learned the hard way when training for the LA marathon a couple years back. My training started 8 months prior to the marathon was going great until the last month when I ran a half marathon, and pushed myself way too hard and injured my calf. I will not make the same mistake.

Another mistake was that I didn't do any weight training at all, which I will mix in plenty of this time.


So onto a recap of my last work out. Yesterday went down to Salt Creek Beach which is my favorite place to run. A great mix of hills and beach running that makes the run go by so much easier. The only problem can be if it is high tide there is very little flat sand to run in and you can get stuck running in dry and deep sand. That happened last night. Great run though. Only 2.5 miles, but it was in the deep sand and a couple of nice hills. Felt great afterwards. Felt terrible this morning. Ankles hurt and was very groggy. Drank a lot of water afterwards, but not enough before hand. Will be doing a weight loss work out today, which I will explain in my next post. Very excited for the long weekend where I have some great runs planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment