Friday: 7 mile run down at the beach at about 9:00am. One small but steep hill and one long and steep hill. Nice mixture of sand, hills, and asphalt. Only walked about 50 yards of the big hill. Drank about 48 ounces of water before hand, and then another 64 afterwards. Also went into the pool and hot tube afterwards. Really helped my knees and muscles out. Thinking about doing that from now on. I really hope there are hot tubes at the places we are staying.
Saturday: Felt groggy when I woke up. Legs felt terrible. Decided to do the elliptical machine and mix in some weights. The Iphone has this Fitness app that I find pretty useful. They have this weight loss program that has you doing 5 minutes of elliptical followed by one set of 8 exercises. You repeat this 3 times. Pretty solid work out since your heart rate is pretty high during the entire event. So I started this and couldn't even make it through the 5 minutes of elliptical. Legs were just dead. Not in pain, but no juice behind it. Decided do just do the work out. Focused on Chest, legs, and stomach. It lasted 30 minutes and then called it quits.
Sunday: 10:45 am went on another beach run that was 6.5 miles. Only one small hill instead of 2. And WOW, I felt great. Legs were stronger. Energy level very high. Same water intake before and afterwards, along with the hot tub and pool. Feel amazing.
Next week will be very busy. Will be on the road until Friday. There are two trails that I used to run back when I lived up in LA to train for the marathon. Will be hitting that again this week. The only problem is that I'm a little scared. The trails are empty and coyotes and mountain lions are all around.
Notes:
- No yogurt within 45 minutes of a run. Did that on Thursday evening's run and Friday's run. Did not feel good. Instead, Bran Cereal was the best. Also, need to eat more Bran. Running so much is making it a little difficult to take a quality poop.
- San Fran weather- 70 degrees is the average in October. Second warmest during the year. The weather is going to be perfect.
- This is the water belt that I have. Great idea Lee on starting to wear it to get used to it. Took me a while before to get used to this, and then didn't even think about it after a couple of weeks.
- Need to continue to mix in drinking (not water for beer and wine) into the training. I feel that with all the training that we will be doing, the runs are going to take no more that 2 hours. With both of us being morning people, we will be on the road by 9:00-10:00am, leaving the remainder of the day open. This is going to open us to afternoon drinking that if our bodies aren't ready could put a dent into the trip.
- Trying to talk Carol into coming. Thoughts?
- Music: Something you need to know about me. For long runs, I can't hold a conversation. Just can't do it. I get cramps very easily. So I will be bringing my ipod to run. Now I find it very hard to run long distances with music. But Podcasts are making long runs very easy. Adam Corolla and The Sportsguy's podcasts run about an hour and its so nice to play one, and the next thing you know the run is over. Makes the run go by so quick.
Would have guessed opposite for the yogurt vs bran cereal thing.
ReplyDeleteLet's hope that that forecast holds true.
That waterbelt makes you look like on old lady out for a powerwalk.
Like the drinking thought. Another thing to train for.
Amy would love the company.
Lose the iPod.