Sunday, August 2, 2009

Update

So it's been a while since either of us has posted and I've been running a little bit and haven't posted. I ran 5 road miles on Saturday morning and came to the realization that I am fat and out of shape. It's not that trails are harder or that the temp affects me or whatever, it's the simple fact that I'm not getting in enough miles. Plain and simple, not getting in enough miles. Work's busy, so I'm only able to get out once during the week and once on the weekend and that's just not enough.

So here's my new plan. I absolutely have to run at least 3 times per week and I'm going to carry road and trail shoes with me at all times. Even if I just have time to run 3 miles on the road, I need to do it. Right now, it's just logistically too much to get to Georgetown twice a week and run my normal 55 minutes. By the time I get there, get my run in, and get home, it's 2-2.5 hours. There's no way that I can fit that into my schedule with any regularity. If I run 5 road miles from whatever office I'm in, it's basically an hour (including changing time and whatnot). Less if it's flat, more if it's hilly. Logistics are keeping me from getting in enough miles and that's just dumb.

And another thing. I have no idea what pace I'm running anymore. I'm not really sure how long Glover Archibald really is, so what is my pace? 9? 9:30? Saturday's run told me that I'm sure as hell nowhere near the 8-8:30 pace that I once knew.

The original plan was to be comfortable with 5 miles at a clip by the end of July, 10 miles at a clip by the end of August and then back to back 10's by the end of September. That's now all shot to hell. 5 miles of a moderately hilly run almost killed me on Saturday! I need to start doing 5's immediately and try to push that out to 6 ASAP. I think that a realistic goal is to be comfortable doing 8's (either road or trail) by the end of August. Push that out to 10-12 by the end of September and I think that I'll be ready--but it's going to be close....

No comments:

Post a Comment