Saturday, September 12, 2009

Not Good

Went on vacation to the outerbanks for roughly 10 days in late August. Was planning on using this time to focus on running and ensuring that my cardio was in line for October. Haven't been running that much, but when I have its been very positive.

Fly into B more on Friday night and drove straight to the outerbanks that night. Went to sleep around 4 am since I picked up Carol's brother on the way and we drank and chatted all night. Let's recap the days down

Saturday: Woke up the next morning around 9:00am, and then ended up running around 11:00am. Ran 5 miles on the beach. Great day. Winds somewhat minor. Nice sand and it was flat. Not what I'm used to back in SoCal. Felt absolutely amazing afterwards. By the time I got back to the house, Jonny and company were there and we went swimming for about 3 hours. Legs felt great.

Sunday: Another nice day. Went running around 10:00am. Nice sand and flat once again. Winds picking up. Went another 5 miles, with a very hard head wind on the way out. Swam another 3-4 hours that day. Legs feeling stronger.

Monday: Went running at 10:00am. Winds really picked up. Had to leave my Iphone back at he place since it was misting. Another 5 miles. 28 minutes for 2.5 miles out since the head wind was so strong. 19 minutes on the way back. Simply amazing. I felt like I was literally flying on the way back. Still ended up swimming for another 2 hours that day. Check out Flotsam and Jetsam for what happened to us in the ocean that day. Jelly Fish larva!! ugh.

Tuesday: Felt great again. Weather was terrible. Rainy and high winds. Only made it 4 miles, but it was during high tide so it was in deep sand. Wanted to cry heading out in the head winds. Finished and felt good again. Went swimming for about 2 hours before the sheriffs department pulled us out due to red flag conditions. Keith, who is a big running, only ran for 6 miles that day and said that was the toughest run in about 3 years.

Wednesday: This is no fun anymore. Mentally could only make it 4 miles. Weather was terrible and winds still high. Took the day off from the ocean. Not a great day.

Thursday: Was heading out to go run but Julie and Ray sidetracked me with frozen drinks and boxed wine at 9:00am. Yes, 9:00am. Went swimming with Jonny for 4 hours that day. Tough swimming with strong currents.

Friday: Weather turned and it was awesome outside. Jonny and I spent 7-8 hours in the ocean. No running. Absolutely drained, but great exercise.

Did not run on Saturday and Sunday. 8 hour drive back on Saturday and Sunday was the wedding. Monday, we played wiffleball and I fucked up my knee/calf. Not good at all. I didn't do it running or anything crazy. After our 1st game, I was just standing there and I went to grab a bat and I felt a pain in my calf and knee. I tried stretching and it didn't work.

Spent the next four days in the hot tube, trying the loosen up whatever I did to it. I'm perplexed. So I figured that I would try to do some biking. So went to the gym and biked. It felt great. Went 20 minutes and not even a slight pain. So I tried the elliptical. Did that for 15 minutes and once again felt great. So I decided to try and run for about a mile. Not so good. Lasted for 5 minutes before the pain was a little too much for me to handle. It was the high side of my calf and the outside of my knee. Went straight to the hot tube and put the jets on my leg. Felt OK for the most part of the day, but 8 hours after the work out, I have slight pain just walking.

I'm going to continue to bike and do the elliptical for the next week. This doesn't look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment